Updated January 4, 2021
Gesu School's reopening task force has released a phased reopening plan, which began on January 11, 2021. The plan has been implemented in three phases and is an addendum to the full reopening plan, which is included below.
Updated September 3 and August 21, 2020
Developing a Plan for Reopening
Throughout the summer months, Gesu School has been diligently researching and strategizing a reopening plan for the 2020-2021 academic year.
This plan is spearheaded by a task force, chaired by Gesu School Trustee, Peter Gould, and comprised of members of the school’s senior management team, faculty, and board of trustees. The task force has reviewed guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and other schools in the Philadelphia region. The task force has consulted experts in the fields of medicine, law, and education in devising the reopening plan. Gesu School parents and faculty/staff have provided feedback.
Throughout the planning process we had hoped to come to a conclusion that it would be safe to open for some in-person learning in September. Ultimately, we have decided to begin the year implementing full remote learning. We came to this decision based on the input of our faculty and families and with the health and safety of our students and staff our highest priority. We are still seeing high numbers of COVID-19 cases across the country, and there are simply too many unknowns about what the fall will bring.
Gesu School will begin the school year fully remote with the intention of shifting to a hybrid model (combination of in-person and remote learning) as soon as possible. We will reevaluate the plan and consider the status of the COVID-19 pandemic monthly to determine when it will be safe to bring students back into the school building.
Resources for Gesu Families
Gesu School Mantra: It Takes a Village to Raise a Child
We do not take lightly the responsibility to educate our children and to do so in a safe and supportive environment. The reopening plan (full remote instruction to start the 202-2021 school year) represents the school’s focus on balancing education/instruction with health/safety considering the difficulties presented by COVID-19. Additionally, Gesu School has long recognized the profound effect it has when children/parents/school are functioning as a collective family unit. Gesu’s mantra is It Takes a Village to Raise a Child. As was the case when school closed in March, Gesu School remains committed to supporting its children/families, in any way possible.
- Gesu School building will be open from 8:00am – 3:00pm (Monday – Friday).
- Chromebooks – Gesu School will have a limited number of devices to loan students in need.
- Internet Access – Click here for more information about a city-wide program that includes families with children in Catholic schools.
- Breakfast/Lunch – As was the case when schools were closed in March, the Nutritional Development Services (NDS) will provide meal boxes (to be taken home) beginning early September.
- Remote Learning Center – Gesu School will staff classrooms to serve as locations for children in need of supervision during the school day. Participating students will do their remote learning from the Gesu building during the school day. Limit 30 students, first come-first served. All students will need to adhere to strict safety protocols (health screenings, mask wearing, social distancing, etc.).
- Dancing with the Students program will be offered virtually for 7th and 8th graders
- Counselors – Counselors will be available to meet with students/families/staff related to their well-being (mental health, trauma and social and emotional needs) resulting from COVID-19, etc. Zoom sessions or an in-person meeting can be scheduled with counselors. Contact Jonathan Jackson, Lead Counselor: email@example.com.
- Graduate Support – High school selection process for 8th graders starts now. Zoom sessions or an in-person meeting can be scheduled with the Graduate Support Department. Contact Jose Gonzalez, Director of Graduate Support: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Gesu School if we can be of assistance in any way:
Virtual/Online Learning Started March 16, 2020
In accordance with Governor Tom Wolf's order that all Pennsylvania schools remain closed for the remainder of this academic year, virtual/online learning is in effect at Gesu School. Please see below for a list of resources you may find useful during these uncertain times.
Philadelphia Family Resources and Listings of Local Free Food Sites
To Our Prospective Families:
Please log onto the Enroll at Gesu link https://link.zixcentral.com/u/52aa1612/4t7KCtSA6hGs7Koih3soMg?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gesuschool.org%2Fenroll-at-gesu to submit questions or request information about enrolling for the 2020-2021 academic year.